Elton John is reportedly quitting music after 50 years. The legendary singer is allegedly gearing up to announce he is backing away from music according to The Mirror, although he is set to make an official statement later today. Elton is finishing his last performance of his Las Vegas show, The Million Dollar Piano, on 19 May after over 200 shows.
It was his second stint at Vegas, with The Red Piano running from 2004 to 2009. Speaking in 2012, John spoke to the BBC where he revealed his thoughts on retiring on music to concentrate on fatherhood, he said: ‘I’m going to keep working.
When Zachary goes to school, that’s another different thing. I want to take him to school and I want to pick him up. I don’t want to miss that part of his childhood.’ On March 24, Elton was forced to cancel Las Vegas shows after contracting a vicious bug in South America
A released statement read: ‘Infections of this nature are rare and potentially deadly. ‘Thankfully, Elton’s medical team identified this quickly and treated it successfully. He is expected to make a full and complete recovery.’ According to The Mirror UK, ill health may have contributed to his decision.
Last year, the Your Song star said: ‘You’re only as old as you feel inside. There are days when I am not feeling as physically good as I could.’ He continued: ‘There will come a time when I will want to stop touring. Maybe I want to have more time with my boys. … There will be a decision made in the next six months probably.’